Statement on the current situation in Bolivia
bolivia / peru / ecuador / chile |
community struggles |
Thursday June 16, 2005 16:49 by Coordinadora de Defensa del Agua y el Gas
We will go on in this same, irreversible direction, in this collective horizon laid out years ago by the people, to build a country for ourselves, for our children and our children's children
TO THE MOBILIZED COMRADES IN COCHABAMBA AND BOLIVIA:
TO THE NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL PUBLIC OPINIÓN:
The "Coordinadora de Defensa del Agua y el Gas" wishes to make known its evaluation of the current situation:
* With the gigantic mobilisation of Bolivian people and of the indigenous peoples from all over the national territory we have temporarily defeated the greatest manoeuvre of the transnational corporations, the US government, the Santa Cruz oligarchy (1) and the traditional Bolivian political parties.
* Yesterday, thanks to the efforts of thousands of men and women, and the life of the cooperative miner Juán Coro, we managed to prevent the return to government of the Mega-coalition of Vaca Díez that would have meant a bloodbath of the Bolivian people and the continued theft of our natural resources.
* This, comrades, is no small thing: all the power of the world’s capital was in coalition against us and we have been able to stop it. For this reason, we have obtained a great deal but we have not yet reached the strategic goals proposed by the whole poor, working population of Bolivia. These goals are still the following:
1) The NATIONALISATION, or rather, the expropriation by society of Bolivia's hydrocarbon resources which are currently in the hands of the transnationals.
- 2) The calling of a CONSTITUENT ASSEMBLY, which must be sovereign and include the majority of Bolivian people (and not of the political parties), which will set out a new form of internal rule and social regulation for all of us, and can build a new collective will from the grassroots.
* Over the coming days, we should begin a vast debate about how can we achieve these goals.
* After 3 weeks of confrontation and mobilizations, we consider it useful to have a pause in the mobilizations so that the population can stock up with food and fuel, and also to listen to the position that the new president, Mr. Rodríguez, will take towards the Bolivian population. To Mr. Rodríguez, we say clearly that he must understand that the aims of the population are those mentioned above and that he is president because previous presidents did not listen to the Bolivian population, they did not take our opinions into account, they did not govern according to the will of the people, and that we will not accept new manoeuvres being prepared against us: you have already seen the people’s strength.
* It is also important to make the following observation: During the May-June mobilization we saw two things. On the one hand, the gigantic force of the social movements; we are able to paralyse the entire territory and to impede the actions of the bosses and bad governments. On the other hand, we were unable to impose our decisions and goals on the governmental power, that is in the worst crisis that it could possibly be in. Based upon those two facts it is essential that we begin a vast process of reflection and debate in all the neighbourhoods and communities of Cochabamba and throughout the whole country, regarding the need to build, little by little, our own capacity for SELF-GOVERNMENT, so that we can promote it during the next mobilization.
* Our great ability to paralyse the country must be matched with a great creative capacity to enable our decisions to go beyond the official institutions and the traditional parties, who are yet again leading us to the precipice. This time around we occupied the oil wells, the gas plants, the refineries. Next time, we will also have to be able to turn them to our own use.
* We will go on in this same, irreversible direction, in this collective horizon laid out years ago by the people, to build a country for ourselves, for our children and our children's children.
LONG LIVE THE UNITED PEOPLE OF BOLIVIA!!!
DEATH TO THE TRANSNATIONALS!!!
Coordinadora de Defensa del Agua y el Gas
Cochabamba, 10th June 2005
1. Santa Cruz is the economic capital of Bolivia
translation by A-Infos